YOGI INTERVIEW: RANDI WEISS FROM OM ON YOGA

Leave a Comment
Good Morning! Yesterday we got the chance to take a class from and interview local yogi, Randi Weiss at Om On Yoga studio here in Richmond. Randi practices and teaches Ashtanga yoga. This method of yoga involves synchronizing the breath with a progressive series of postures—a process producing intense internal heat and a profuse, purifying sweat that detoxifies muscles and organs. The result is improved circulation, a light and strong body, and a calm mind. (source) Basically, it's not easy... however, totally worth it! We felt great afterwards!

Anyway! We stuck around after our class and asked Randi a few questions about her life in the yoga world! Check it out! 

Tell us a little bit about yourself. Where are you from? What is your favorite hobby other than yoga?
 "I'm originally from Baltimore, Maryland and I went to school at University of Delaware where I studied graphic design and advertising. I worked in advertising, had three kids. I like to bike and hike and ski, and paint, I find that I can translate the zen from my yoga practice into just about any other thing I do in my life."
 
When did you first become interested in practicing yoga?
"Early twenties. My first yoga class was about 28 years ago at the gym."
 
When did you decide to dedicate yourself to yoga personally and professionally?
"It didn't take long, but it was probably a few years after practicing yoga that I knew I was very drawn to it and thought it might be a neat thing to dive into at some point in my life but it just didn't feel right thing until I had my third child and when she was about three years old I was reading something in Natural Awakenings that advertised teachers training and it was from the person who was my first teacher, Nancy Tatum, I called her up and said I wanted to do it. I think building up to that point I was adding a few more classes, not just one class a week, I was adding classes or taking workshops, so I was defiantly building my interest."
What/Who inspires you most?
"My students, I get to know them, I think it's really important, they aren't just people standing on a mat, they are individuals with different needs and different emotional reactions to things. Yoga is not just a physical practice so I get to be apart of some experience in someones life that is transformative. They teach me by letting me watch them grow, I see them experience the excitement of getting a pose or the contentment of being in a meditative seat can be very moving to be apart of the experience for someone else." 
 
What keeps you motivated to work hard when you’re feeling low?
"Yoga opens you up to a lot of emotional stuff, so there are days when you do feel really low and childs pose seems like the only place that is fitting for that day. But sometimes I allow that, I allow if I'm having a low emotional day, I allow that to tell me that maybe I need to slow down and listen. When I need to get motivated though? Just knowing that whatever it is I'm thinking or feeling will pass, and knowing that getting on my mat I always feel better."
Why does yoga mean to you? 
"It's about how I interact in the world, and with myself. The physical stuff is fun, don't get me wrong, and I like the challenge of the physical poses, I like to feel strong in them, but I know there is so much more, an invitation for softness, which is what I need."
 
What is your favorite way to unwind and relax when stressed?
"Light a candle, dim the lights, play some calming music, and maybe get into a restorative pose, if you're talking about a yoga way. However I have a hammock in my backyard..." 
 Favorite Pose?
Ardha Chandrasana or Half Moon pose :)
What’s some advice you would give to beginners?/people who want to start practicing yoga?
"You don't have to be flexible to do yoga, you get flexible through yoga. Be patient, go to classes with teachers that have a lot of experience and be patient with yourself. People tend to come in and look around and see what everyone's doing, and do it right, be the best, and compare themselves, but you have to leave your ego at the door, come and explore, and have an open mind."
 
What do you find rewarding about being a yoga instructor?
"I love sharing with people what I love. I love being able to just bring people into my world. I like the learning opportunity for me, because every time I teach a class, I have to prepare for it, or I have to learn something more about it, so it forces me to stay current and fresh and continue along the trajectory of the growth experience in the practice. I continue to fill myself, for me, but also knowing that I can go and teach these things to other people who are eager to learn."

And That's it for Randi! Thank you for being such an amazing teacher and letting us take a peak at what you love doing! You rock Randi!
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PROFESSIONAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig